Monday, December 27, 2010

Chicken soup from leftovers

Yesterday I dug through the fridge wondering what I could make that would be warming, delicious, and would not require a trip to the market. I decided on chicken noodle soup. It's an amazingly easy dish to make, and you can have fun with the ingredients and spices, as there is not only one way to make it. I opted for the crock pot, as I had some errands to run, and the crock pot would allow me to throw in a bunch of scraps from the fridge, set it to low, and run my errands while dinner cooked.
The soup turned out delicious, and really warming both in temperature and spiciness. It just goes to show that you can use you holiday leftovers without opting for sandwiches. The below recipe is what I happened to have on-hand. Play with it and create your own fun and delicious version.

Chicken soup recipe:

2 chicken breasts

2/3 white onion

4 whole scallions

2 celery stalks

3 carrots

1/2 zucchini

pint of baby portabella mushrooms

4 cloves garlic

1 can of diced "jalapeno and chili" tomatoes

1 hand full of spinach

8 cups of homemade beef stock

1 tbsp parsley

1 tsp dried chili flakes

1 tsp salt

1 tsp black pepper

1 tsp rosemary

(all vegetables were diced in about even sizes)


Place all items in crock pot. Turn to low and allow to cook for five (5) hours.



No comments:

Post a Comment